Farmhouse Guest Bathroom: Before and During

Anyone renovating will know it takes time and more importantly money to get things done. After a long beautiful summer, we’ve picked things back up. Unfortunately, the money we had been saving for our master bedroom went into renovating our guest bathroom.

What started as a drip in our bath-fitter, turned into a full on leak and we were faced with spending $500 to fix and replace a gross plastic bath-fitter…or spend our master bedroom funds and putting into our guest bathroom.

We decided to split the labor between professional and ourselves to cut financial corners.

If you can remember our bathroom when we moved in looked like this:

photo 2 (5)

As you can see the overall bathroom is a pretty good size for a guest bath, however, it’s an awkward¬†back corner that housed the bath-fitter (I promise there was sweet frosted plastic sliding doors with handles that came off every time you pushed it closed). It also had an odd header above the shower doors, but once in the shower the real ceiling height was the same as the rest of the bathroom.

 

photo 1 (4)

There really wasn’t anything wrong with the wood/laminate vanity. I struggled with the decision of painting it and removing the countertop. Ultimately, I decided that I just didn’t like countertops that butted up against a corner wall. In the bathrooms that I loved, there were more free standing. The toliet is next to the vanity, and we decided to keep the same layout to save money.

Step 1: We did the came up with a plan to demo, and to renovate the vanity, toilet part of the bathroom ourselves.

Step 2: We hired (in true form) another horrible contractor to move some electrical, and tackle the shower portion. If you’re interested in a list of horrible contractors to stay away from, feel free to email me. I’m pretty sure we’ve had them all over at some point.

Step 3: Chose materials. We decided to go with the same slate floor that we used in the mudroom to go all over the bathroom floor and continue up/over the transition, as well as, the bath seat (I wanted the slate to be the flooring inside the actual shower, but Mr. Manor vetoed that for some tumbled pebbles). We decided to use subway in the same stacking pattern that we used for our kitchen backsplash and carried the same metal finish (brushed nickel) that we used throughout the house.

Step 4: Due to horrible contractor, blow the 4 day timeline to almost 2 months.

So here’s where we are at now:

1613879_874830251703_8492314480208555868_n

The contractors gifted us with awesome white caulk around the pewter grout that at least I can paint.

 

10310614_874830261683_9060465834742967698_n

We chose a semi traditional, modern exposed hand-held shower with sliding rail. It does have a 6-inch rain shower head and then we put a 10-inch shower head centered in the shower.

 

10421530_874830256693_2293972009247263822_n

We took our antique pine dresser and lacquered it to be waterproof.

 

10888631_874829852503_7565180689750520095_n

 

It’s hard to tell in the photo, but the bathroom feels much larger now that we included that whole back wall as the shower (76×48)

After we have the drywall added, we some final touches to add:

00W0W_jjP5BDpcDKG_600x450

snk

sconces

il_fullxfull.298047491

11399805276296755_14GbtOA3_c

faucet

Untitled

Stay tuned!

Where to Start

The new house is over 2600 square feet; knowing where to start was extremely overwhelming especially when we had/have a budget of only $15k. First thing I decided to do was to start tearing down wallpaper.

In Ryann’s Room:

Image

 

In the Guest Bathroom:

Image

In the Kitchen:

Image

In the Upstairs Hallway:

Image

I don’t even have pictures of the back staircase…

As the wallpaper started coming down, my awesome hubby, start taking down weird chair rails and the massive baseboards that needed to be cut down.

Image

{dining room}

Image

{living room}

The transformation has begun.