The shelves are up! It’s been a long process, getting the corbels to tie in to our custom iron staircase (click here to see the stairs). If you remember my last post about the corbels (click here to catch up) they were just being welded.
A couple things- I need to tweek the joint on the wall sconce so everything isn’t on the same plane. Also, we had a terrible time using the barn wood. There were so many nails in that they couldn’t be milled, so sanding them took off a ton of character which really made me upset. The upside is that they can be cleaned now which is important since our plates and glasses are going on there. I also wanted to remove some of the wood depth, but the wood wouldn’t lay flat if we did that, so they are a little more bulky than I wanted. Lastly, the overall stain after the clear coat does tie in with the floor, but I wish it tied in with the barnwood island. They’re not completed yet, they still need to have to tops put on them so they carry to the ceiling, but those won’t be completed until end of July. We decided to have them installed so we could use them until then- so I could at least unpack.
Just some tips if anyone is thinking of doing something like this- I would definitely not do an organic material left in a raw state as shelving. It’s too difficult to get just right. Also, make sure you block heavily inside the walls, and don’t rely on the just the studs.
Follow me on instagram to see pictures of the shelves styled tonight!